Is there anything today that feels even marginally like an OM-2?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
darklamp Senior Member • Posts: 3,567
Re: That's a personal question

D Cox wrote:

Becksvart wrote:

darklamp wrote:

and more importantly perhaps the OM 2 doesn't need a 3,4cm adapter.

That would be because it's already 3.4cm thicker ( ignoring the small grip on end the NEX's ).

It's your perception of this that makes it an issue, not the fact of it.

It's about how a lens balances on a body. An adapter may help and it may not help. I dare say that for a tiny NEX and small lenses it does not, whilst an LA-EA2 does indeed help with bigger lenses.

You can however argue "It's subjective!" and make most of the internets redundant

I have never understood this talk of lenses "balancing".

If a lens is on the heavy side, then the lighter the camera the better, to keep down the weight you have to carry.

Well I understand. Up to a point it's nice to have a body with "heft" ( as the OP described it ) when a lens is on the heavy side ( i.e. not a lightweight like a 50mm f1.8 ). The heavy body does help stabilize the heavy lens.

But this is limited. Once you start getting to large lenses like 27-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8's you start to get to a point where no amount of heft adds as much balance as it does weight.

The other thing the OP was discussing was using the Sony A-mount adapters for the NEX. The problem with these is that they're relatively heavy and while a proper heavy DSLR gives you something to cope with torque from the AF system, these systems tend to leave you fighting the torque a bit. Not good for stability.

Now I have found that while something like my old Fuji S3 ( about 800g ) works well with my 28-70 f2.8 ( another 800g ), it's not really great as I end up carting a big weight.

The NEX can use the 28-70 f2.8 via an adapter but of course you end up with a rather large force pulling on a mount that's not designed for it - no one ever designed the NEX e-mount for 800g+ lenses. The Fuji S3 and similar bodies are designed to handle that force - big difference.

To use the big lens on the small camera requires that I hold the lens and let the camera rest on it. Not optimal for handling.

So these things are a matter of tools for the job. I tend to use my NEX with lighter lenses. It's that simple as I see it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
pgb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow