Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
Aaron801 Senior Member • Posts: 5,299
Re: my take...

Nice.... I got to play around a bit with 4 x 5 a bit in college and still have some of the images I made with that camera up on my walls. The depth that those images can have is pretty great, no doubt. I never got to play with a Polaroid film back though. I know that lots used it for "chimping" (that word seems so odd to me), but in the fine art world it was often used as the end product and had a kind of unique, cool look.

I do get that one of the main benefits to using a camera like that is the tilts and shifts... the selective focusing and the correction of lines for things like architectural photography (I always wanted to do that stuff!). I have certainly played around with faking that stuff in Photoshop though and the results are quite good! No need to convince me of the capabilities that digital provides. I'm a graphic designer and have used software to create all kinds of visual effects. I love the fact that the "darkroom" in the digital realm can have so many more possibilities than were ever possible with film.

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow