Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
Daro31 Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: my take...

I did make the next logical move to 4x5, and I even still have the camera, it is my den and makes a neat conversation piece. The reason I got into 4x5 was for swings and tillts, and rise and fall of the lense plane. Most people never realized that my buildings weren't falling over backwards and I had fantastic depth of field from the tilting lense and film planes. 4 x 5 Cameras were not normally used for the resolution but rather for image control. Now I just go into Photo Shop lens correction and do the same things. Yes resolution was fantastic, but how may 40 x 60 inch prints does the world need. Now you are down to every shot costing you $4 for B&W and $12.00 for colour. You probably can't get it anymore but the most fun with photography I ever had was 4x5 Polaroid P/N film. You use a Polaroid back in your 4x5, and you get the positive print in 60 seconds, (Ambient temperature dependent); and then a peel off negative that your dropped quickly into hypo. absolutely beautifully negatives and some of my best portraits. I guess that was the same excitement 30 years ago as chimping. If I remember the film was 25 ASA. Are you really ready to trade in your digital.

Daro31's gear list:Daro31's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow