Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 21,364
Re: Do your own processing!

Weegee wrote:

Buy a few 120 Nikkor stainless steel reels ( $ 2.00 ) and a Nikkor processing tank ( $ 10.00 ), A bottle of Rodinal ( 1 time use and cheap because it's mixed about 1:50 or 1:100 ) a bottle of stop bath ( acetic acid ( winegar ), and a bottle, or even cheaper, a package of fix.

Yes, Rodinal is the best bet for occasional use as it keeps well in the bottle. An alternative is a two-bath developer, if you can find one; in this case the thermometer is not needed.

You also need distilled or deionised water for the final rinse. If you use tap water you will get drying marks and particles from the water stuck on the film. A sqeegee is good too.

The Nikkor type reels are much liked by those who have the knack of loading them, but this knack is not easy to acquire. Paterson type plastic reels are much easier for the beginner or occasional user.

You also need a changing bag to provide total darkness. And a thermometer.

Process it yourself in 15min for less than .50 cents.

Yes, scanning can be problematic if you don't clean or dry the negative carefully. It was just the same when I made prints! Then, I had to take out my paint brushes and retouch every print. Now at least, you have the clone tool and dust and scratches in Photoshop! You guys don't realize how easy you have it!

And once the scanned image is spotted it stays spotted. With traditional printing, you had to spot every print.

If you go through the processing and enjoy it, next, get an enlarger ( Durst ) and make some prints. Then and only then will you become the "full" photographer!

I prefer Beseler to Durst.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow