Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
The Incredible Hoke
The Incredible Hoke Contributing Member • Posts: 894
Re: By the way, get a Hasselblad….

Weegee wrote:

Might as well start with the best for not much money. Eventually you'll get one so might as well get one now and avoid all the eventual trade-ins to eventually get a Hasselblad.

I have a Hasselblad 501cm and still use it regularly. Tons of other great MF setups out there and you can get the classic gear on the cheap usually.

In my opinion, it's definitely still worth it, especially if you shoot B&W and develop it yourself. I love shooting with my Hasselblad even though I have a FF Nikon DSLR. I find it easy and fun to shoot with and it's still my preferred set up for long exposures at night.

I've actually found that MF gear is getting a bit more expensive as more young people discover film and others are choosing a partial "return to film." So, if you've found some cheap gear and it's in good shape, go for it. The old film cameras are also pretty solid and mechanically sound. Not much to go wrong with them and it's usually easily fixed.

If it's not for you or you find something else, you can always sell it for about the same price you paid.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow