Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
TheChefs Contributing Member • Posts: 522
Re: Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

It's your personal choice, I shoot film and I like it. I mostly shoot negative colour film (C41) and B&W. Bit of transparency when I feel the subject is suitable.

I shoot fair bit of film and the cost of film isn't that great. It's a lot less than FF with equivalent glass. Not to mention the upgrades later on down the track and depreciation.

I use my Pentax MX mostly for B&W and my Hasselblad for colour and B&W. I don't see the downfalls. If you like the look, go for it. I like the colours I get out from the various film and the square format.

I'm thinking about getting Pentax 67 with 105mm f2.4 lens later down the track.

The only downside I can think of is that DSLRs have better high iso performance. Still, I like grainy B&W photos and I like the results from Delta 3200.

It is your personal choice. Like you have mentioned, the cameras are dirt cheap. As for size, my hasselblad weights less than FF DSLR and one of the oversized primes or zooms.

The nice thing is, you will also experience some of the best viewfinders ever made on any camera. MX and OM1 have the best viewfinders ever made for 35mm cameras (or DSLR), but they don't even compare to medium format.

TheChefs's gear list:TheChefs's gear list
Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow