First day out with my FE 24-70mm

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fred Briggs
Fred Briggs Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
First day out with my FE 24-70mm

Myself and my wife were visiting our son at Reading University on Sunday, but travelled down on Friday and had a day in London on Saturday as the weather forecast looked promising. It was fortunately the first sunny day for what seems like weeks in the UK, and I was keen to take some pictures with my A7 and newly acquired FE 24-70 lens.

We have been watching a television series on great British architects, and decided to take a closer look at some of their buildings, so these are the main subject of the following series of pictures. Some are with the 24-70, and some with the 10-18, which due to its very restricted range on the A7 can be regarded as a wide angle prime. This was the cause of much lens swapping during the day which made me realise that the rumoured FE 16-35mm with a reasonable focal range overlap would be ideal to complement the 24-70, especially if it is stronger around 24mm.

In homage to the days when no DPR camera test was complete without a few Phil Askey shots of Tower Bridge I couldn't resist including a few taken with the 24-70 at various focal lengths.

I have also included a couple of shots of the bridge taken with an old Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6 ED zoom lens which is my only telephoto for the A7 at the moment. I was quite pleased with the results for a lens which only cost me £50 ($75)!

Fred

FE 24-70mm 24mm @ f/8

FE 24-70mm 35mm @ f/8

FE 24-70mm 50mm @ f/8

FE 24-70mm 70mm @ f/8

Nikon 70-300mm F/4-5.6 ED - 200mm @ f/5.6

Nikon 70-300mm F/4-5.6 ED - 300mm @ f/5.6

London architecture old and new:

St Paul's Cathedral

Lloyds Insurance Building

The Gherkin (official name St Mary Axe)

"The Shard Shattered" (fragmented reflection of the 87 storey skyscraper called The Shard)

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow