NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...

Started Feb 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
pixelpushing
pixelpushing Veteran Member • Posts: 3,229
Re: NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...Well ttbek I for one............................

ttbek wrote:

As many other devices with much greater demands tends to prove out (cameras + 4G cellular + Wifi + Bluetooth + 8 core CPU + hardcore 3D games + tons of apps running in tandem + etc.).

Mind naming one with a longer battery life to battery mAh ratio?

Longer than what? A battery can only contain X capacity amperage vs. Y rate and quantity of drain.

I had this conversation with someone before on here. All the devices named have much larger battery capacities than the NX300 and when scaled they turn out to be less efficient by a significant factor.

NX300 or NX? The NX300 runs Tizen, the NX runs Android. Neither camera has been reviewed to have exceedingly poor battery life. As I've cited here previously, the NX has received high marks. Your mileage may vary, but isn't it possible some folks around here got preproduction models, or needing fw revision?

The culprit here was a total lack of adaptive customization of UI for this device. Tizen would do the very same thing if it were the fully open 'desktop' configuration, too, I have no doubt. Instead, Samsung crafted a simple menu system (that I don't care for vs. older NX cameras, myself, not intuitive at all IMO) so the OS wasn't tripping over itself and draining the resources.

Having looked at what source code is available, it's not running a stripped down shell, rather it's running a full desktop with a full screen app on Tizen with compositing and all that jazz, so not actually as far from running a 3D game the whole time as one might think.

I do not follow what you're saying here. The NX300 is definitely running a shell. Whether you want to deem it a full screen app or whatever, it's an opaque UX that the user cannot circumvent to run other apps that could draw more resources.

The Desktop manager is Elementary by the way, which you can install on pretty much whatever Linux distro you have at hand to try out instead of Gnome or KDE or whatever else is being used by default on that distro.

But you cannot do that on an NX300. As has been noted, all the source talk here has netted the NX300 absolutely zero development. The reason I was reading wasn't that nobody cared, but that there were still compiling components missing at some level. I don't recall.

Anyway, as I said, NX300 has a locked UX. It's not fiddling with apps or a cell radio or BT, or maintaining any other hardware. Just a camera and WiFi.

With a proper camera UI that stopped all resource draw while in that mode and a smidge of optimization for the NX, I have no doubt Android could have easily handled that system.

To do that in Android is a much larger undertaking than I think you realize. I should also point out that most hardware doesn't draw a whole lot of power on mobile devices, the vast majority of power draw is screens and wifi modules.

I make no claims to be a coder or engineer... But I do know there's a cell radio, BT and a host of always-on apps that keep a (for example) Galaxy S4 up and running. It's not inconsiderable. There are concurrent processes involved that are different for every device -- even from one carrier to the next. And a pixel density difference of say 20%, or even a different model of display, can make a substantial difference in battery economy.

CPU and graphics only really hit heavy on power when they're under heavy load. Consider for a moment why we have 8 core CPUs in our phones...

couldn't that have to do with Android needing more cores to feel fast.

No, because older Android phones with 2x and 4x cores still function fine. It has more to do with how you're taxing the system with resolution density of screen, per pixel depth and any bloatware that happens to be on board including the wireless apps running under the hood. Also, phones and tablets need to have robust graphics to run 3D games and handle the camera. Maybe not an APS-C but it still draws battery power.

Anyway, we can make Android run as fast as Tizen by throwing a bunch of hardware at it like the phones do.

Excuse me, but do you happen to have benchmarks of similar or same hardware running Tizen vs. Android? Because I don't think we've established Tizen>Android in terms of speed handling a variety of devices without a shadow of doubt.

And then we can follow it up by throwing a huge battery capacity at it, which the phones are also doing now.

2600mAh isn't that huge. The Windows Nokia Lumia 1020 has a 2000mAh and most comments about that are 'small battery'.

Also, notice how popular those extra power packs are becoming? This isn't about fundamental properties of Android and Tizen, merely about the state they are in now, and how much work would be required to make them suitable for a high end camera.

And I have yet to see solid data that Tizen is better suited.

Tizen has been targeted from the start (well, depends where we call the start, it has some roots that go back to Meego) at somewhat more critical embedded devices in my opinion.

Examples?

Which is about what I'd get out of my NX300 if I were shooting a lot. Several review of the NX claimed battery life was excellent. If I had a phone (iOS or any other OS) with a 20MP full mirrorless APS-C camera attached I would be totally floored if it lasted a full day of heavy use. Even my Galaxy S4 doesn't do that.

Mine doesn't by the way, on the NX300 I can go through 2 batteries in 4-5 hours.

Talk like this lacks relevance when we aren't doing equal benchmarks of performance. What you do with your camera in 5 hours is probably entirely different than what I do.

This is of course, with turning it off when not in use for a while. But with the Galaxy NX, I couold only get around 4 hours use, and a lot less photos than the NX 300 took, before I got the warning of a low battery.

It seems to me Samsung needs to release some kind of patch or update to limit the draw of resources. Have you run any kind of battery monitor app?

Others have pointed out to me that for them the Galaxy NX lasts longer than the NX300, but once you scale the battery capacity you see that it is much less efficient.

That's irrelevant, though. Either the NX lasts about what you'd expect or need out of it, or it doesn't. Scaling battery capacity to claim 'inefficiency' is bordering into fanboy OS wars, IMHO and put as respectfully to you as I can, because I cannot stress enough the help you bring to this forum and my own personal experience. Cheers and all that.

My point is, and imagine us sharing a pint and haggling over this, is simply that batteries are relative in performance only to the device. You can't say an entirely different device (like a non 4G camera without EVF, BT, 4G or huge 4.8" high density display) is 'more efficient' because it runs the same with a smaller battery. No?

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Arn
Arn
(unknown member)
MOD Taffy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow