Spending more on glass, less on body - thoughts?

Started Feb 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
clearzoom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,026
Re: My take...

Amamba wrote:

Get a used F3 - same sensor as Nex 6, low light performance is even better a tad, it was much more of a camera than the subsequent cheapened low end 3n. This was the camera that persuaded me to sell my Canon DSLR. No idea what they go for, but can't be more than $250.

Then, pair it with a used SEL50f1.8 OSS. ($200-220). AFAIK the 50 isn't known to suffer from sample variances like some of the other Sony lenses.

This combo will give you the best low light IQ you can get on Nex, with nice portrait FL for those precious baby shots. If and when you need a wider lens, you can pick either an inexpensive 18-55 ($80 used, but need to test it), or Sigma 30/2.8 or 19/2.8 ($100 used).

A trade off will be focusing speed - the 50mm is notoriously slow focusing in low light (although precise). But on a baby this doesn't matter.

Amamba - you sounded like you are close to my mind, as I feel exactly the same about F3, I did get Nex6 but returned that after 2 weeks and got my 2nd Nex F3 and it gives gereat sharpness on even kit lens,

I got sel50f18, sel16f28 and 55210

all are great . another reason F3 is tat it is heavier than otehr 3n and 5ns. i hate lighter cameras

clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow