Started Feb 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,405
An honest test - it shows competitors are not too bad

amtberg wrote:

s_grins wrote:

amtberg wrote:

s_grins wrote:

"50mm f/1.4 Nikon G lens (wide open) attached to: 1) the Light Cannon by Vizelex; 2) the Lens Turbo by Zhongyi; 3) the R.J. Focal Reducer; and 4) the Speed Booster by Metabones."

Why such a simple thing has to be so complex? Did you have a problem with selecting just a equal M43 lens?

I'm still can't fathom the depth of idea behind setup

Umm, you seem to have completely missed what these focal reducers do. They are designed to adapt full frame or (some) APS-C lenses to smaller formats by shrinking the image circle, which has the added benefit of reducing the effective aperture of the lens. You couldn't attach an MFT lens to a focal reducer because it would make the image circle smaller than the sensor.

Well, if I understand you right, speed booster is a focal reducer, and it takes from FL and,shrinking an image circle, adds to an F-stop making lens faster.

Am I right? If I'm, than all these

1) the Light Cannon by Vizelex; 2) the Lens Turbo by Zhongyi; 3) the R.J. Focal Reducer; and 4) the Speed Booster by Metabones."

are just different brands of the same FL reducer, and there are 4 different setups. OP wants to compare different brands, which may make a sense.

Correct. The OP designed the optics in the Speed Booster adapter which was subsequently copied by the other brands. He just demonstrated -- quite convincingly I think -- that his original design is the best.

Yes the test showed that the original design is the best - but it also showed that at least two of the competitors aren't quite as bad as you could suspect. So if this was a marketing attempt- which some of the posters in this thread seem to believe - it may have the opposite effect. It seems that at least some of the competitors are good enough to be considered, regarding the lower price. So I really think this was an honest test. Thanks to the Op for that.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow