Binocular Suggestions

Started Feb 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
Petewill Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Binocular Suggestions

I am a keen birder and use 10X42 Swarovski.  I will not comment on these as they are out of your price range (and were out of mine for many years).

To my mind what you should consider is the following.

The larger the objective (ie 32, 42 or 50) the more light is let in.  In low light conditions this is very important.

When comparing different binoculars try to be aware of the contrast.  Good contrast helps with definition of finer features.

If you wear glasses, binoculars with a Long Eye Relief is essential.  It is a real pain taking glasses off to use the binoculars & them putting them on again to read the field guide.

Close focus is also very useful.  Often a bird gets very close & you want to see more detail.  Similarly I like 10X magnification.

Waterproof or at least water resistant is also a must.  Very important if you live near the coast.

My binoculars have an angle of view of 6.3 degrees which I have no problem locating a bird.  Bear in mind that some manufacturers measure the angle of view in degrees while others give the width of view in feet/yards/metres at 1000 feet/yards/metres.  A simple mathematical conversion is needed to compare different makes.

If possible after narrowing you possibilities to a few makes/models and then try to test them from the same location at the same time.

Lastly, make sure that they are set up properly & enjoy whatever you buy.

-- hide signature --

Warm Regards
Pete Williamson
Bela Bela, South Africa

Petewill's gear list:Petewill's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow