For EM-5/E-PM2, do people like Olympus 75-300mm or Panasonic 100-300mm

Started Feb 19, 2014 | Questions thread
DonTom Contributing Member • Posts: 535
Re: For EM-5/E-PM2, do people like Olympus 75-300mm or Panasonic 100-300mm

Michael Meissner wrote:

I was wondering which long lens people like with the Olympus EM-5 (and E-PM2 as backup)? Do people like the Olympus 75-300mm or the Panasonic 100-300mm?

To me it made more sense to go with the Olympus lens on my Olympus body: better software lens corrections if nothing else.

I had recently purchased a Stylus1 but I' not as happy with the zoom range, so I'm thinking of returning it. I had originally thought of getting another bridge camera with superzoom (such as SH-50 or SP-100), but I started thinking that perhaps I should get a lens, and just use micro 4/3rds cameras.

I went through the same thought process, thought about a Panasonic FZ200 instead. But it would be yet another charger to drag around when traveling, and battery to keep an eye on. It really doesn't take any longer to change lens when needed than to drag another camera out, switch it on, check & adjust the setting etc.

I've only had the Olly for 2 months, but am very happy with it so far. 75-300mm is, to me, a more useful range than 100-300mm. I find when combined with the Olympus 12-50mm, they are fine for travel. I don't find the 50-75mm gap much of a problem. Here's a shot from Malaysia earlier in the year:

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow