NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...

Started Feb 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
ttbek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,838
Re: NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...

tecnoworld wrote:

Did NX300 outsell NEX5? I ask since for me NX300 is better than NEX5 in every aspect.

Is NX30 outselling Canon 700D? Again, I think it's better in every aspect than 700D.

If the problem was "me", than NX would sell like hotcakes, don't you think so?

Please provide cases where a NX sold better than a similarly priced lower specced camera. Thanks.

Weren't both of those cameras much later to market?  Also, consider than this is what I'm talking about, when building a reputation and a pedigree you need to do this even if it's not selling well.  Furthermore though, I don't think they're better in every respect, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 700D have much better CAF for instance?  There is also the lens line consideration and upgrade path.  That is, people will buy a 700D with aspirations of one day owning a 1DX, Samsung doesn't have a real king like that in their lineup.  Samsung is still at the stage where they get buyers that did their research (I bought an NX300 over the NEX5 after all), and it's from people like us that Samsung's reputation grows better because we'll tell everyone we speak to about the camera we have and how it is for us.

In summary, no, I don't think NX would sell like hotcakes, it takes a lot of time to change the perception of a large company.  I guess I'm trying to consider where the company will be photographically in ten years, not what the sales figures will be for the next model.  In order to sell cheaply, they must make it cheaply, then suppose it does sell well, everyone will own one and no one will like them, or they won't hold up,etc.. , no one would buy a Samsung camera again.

I didn't say there was such a case at any point.  What I'm saying is that selling at rock bottom prices may generate sales, but doesn't really generate any more profit (in many cases), nor does it help your image.  Hasselblad doesn't exactly sell more cameras than Sony, but they are much more respected in the field of photography, and that reputation wasn't built on their most recent handful of cameras, it was built up over many years.  Same thing for Leica.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Arn
Arn
(unknown member)
MOD Taffy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow