NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...

Started Feb 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
hootsmon
hootsmon Contributing Member • Posts: 894
Re: NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...

ttbek wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

Thx, I appreciate what you said. Unfortunately in the last months on this forum many ppl arrived just to 'advertise'. So if anybody dares to compare a samsung products to others, they attack him personally and try to emarginate him. This is to reply to your initial question

For the rest, I'm with you. Sony a7 is very appealing. If nx1 approaches it in price, I think that no wise customer would choose samsung over sony. Even owning lenses for the nx system, if a 'good' nx body costs as much as a full frame offering, I'm not considering it.

Besides the a7 is pushin down the prices of sony's aps'c, like a6000. Right now imo the nx30 is priced too high for what it gives, and if the nx1 will be priced proportionally, it will - for sure - cost more than 1200$ for body only. Again, even if it offers all those goodies, it'll be just an aps-c camera with no 'pedigree', and won't sell.

I'm of a bit of a different opinion here. I think that to build a pedigree it requires your top model to take more of a "price is no object" approach. You don't need to sell to have a reputation and a reputation is what lets you sell later. What do I mean by this? I mean that the reputation is prerequisite to sales unless your entire business plan is to sell at only a tiny fraction above, or even below (e.g. PS3 in order to generate game sales, a similar model could be bodies to generate lens sales, but then you could expect much higher lens prices than what Samsung has done so far, for the same relative quality) manufacturing cost for eternity. At some point we need to have a real elephant in the room that we can point out to others rather than having an imaginary elephant, or a horse instead of an elephant just because horses are cheaper, because no one will care about the horse even if they do notice it (sorry for making such an English centric and unusual, but I think accurate, analogy).

I'm not saying that price shouldn't be a consideration at all, but consider that we don't know how good the best they can make is. If they make something as good as a D800, then we should expect a D800 like price tag, if they make something as good as a 1DX, then again, expect 1DX like price tag. I'm not expecting magic of course though, maybe they make something in the 5D MkIII ballpark, then expect to shell out over 3k for it. And unfortunately the most likely case is it will be far from as "pro" of a camera I hoped, as Samsung is probably not thinking quite the way I do, in which case your hopes for a low prices are justified somewhat, though 1200 is awfully little, considering where the Galaxy NX price is at, actually that makes the NX30 look like super bargain (relative to Galaxy NX) lol. My thinking is that your flagship model should be the very best your company has to offer, it shouldn't be meant to be marketed in quite the same way as commodity goods, or even your regular higher end stuff. For example, look at the difference in price between the 1DX and the 5DMkIII. They're not exactly close, on B&H, body only for both is 6799 vs. 3399. Now, I don't know too much about the NX1 as yet, but I suspect that is will be in the 2k range, that's a pretty big guess though, so don't read anything into it. I also think that Samsung shouldn't undercut their flagship model, it should be their clear cut best offering in all aspects. This is something they probably do agree with, and would explain NX30 using a sensor very similar (or still maybe even identical) to the NX300 one, because the best one is probably reserved for the NX1.

I'm straying off topic, but if I were Samsung, then my emphasis and design goals for a new sensor would be to improve AF sensors more so than improving image quality, with the goal of being competitive with high end DSLRs. I wouldn't allow a drop in image quality, but if for instance it was a 5% increase in image quality and better AF vs. an 11% increase in image quality and no better AF, I would take the 5%.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

@ttbek, yes I agree with your logic.  In order for Samsung to get taken seriously by camera-snobs, they first need to earn that credibility, by producing an 'aspirational' flagship model, that demonstrates what they're capable of.  I'm speculating that NX1 might be that flagship model.  In which case it'll doubtless be priced like a top-shelf product, and that'll be just fine with me.

hootsmon's gear list:hootsmon's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
Arn
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Arn
Arn
(unknown member)
MOD Taffy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow