What does A6000 mean for the A77 replacement (good things IMHO)

Started Feb 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
VirtualMirage Veteran Member • Posts: 3,922
Re: What does A6000 mean for the A77 replacement (good things IMHO)

K E Hoffman wrote:

There is a lot of nice stuff on the A6000 Focus system wise.

Would you need micro-adjust anymore with sensor based PD and CD fine tuning?

With the focusing sensors being located directly on the imaging sensor, you should no longer need MFA.  MFA is primarily used to compensate for when the PD AF sensor is not at the same distance from the lens as the sensor.  So in this respect, MFA is no longer needed.  But MFA can also be used to adjust for flaws in the lens.  This is where MFA can still be useful.

But with a hybrid on sensor AF system, MFA may not be needed at all.  The Phase Detect AF sensors can be used to acquire focus quickly while contrast detect AF fine tunes the last bit to perfection.  So essentially, the contrast detection AF step can be used to replace MFA and overcome flaws in the lens.

If tying these two together to work seamlessly and quickly, then it would be a great system to use.  The concern would be low light focusing.  Contrast detection AF tends to hunt in low light and I would be concerned that if focusing on a hybrid system is always two step process (PD first, contrast detect second) that the second step might cause for slow low light lock on times.

I wonder if the technology used today disables the contrast detect AF step when light is too low for it to be effective.

The other plus of the hybrid AF is that Phase Detection is superior than contrast detection for tracking.  Phase detection knows which direction an object is heading while contrast detection not so much.

I would really like to see an improved hybrid system make its way into the next A-mount camera, SLT or no SLT.  Ideally, it would be more suitable for a non-SLT camera.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow