Best superzoom?

Started Feb 15, 2014 | Questions thread
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 13,937
Re: Best superzoom?

Charles Laigo wrote:

Asked a bazillion times I know, but there have been new releases the last month or so.

So, what do you folks think? Which superzoom would you recommend? It would be silly to ask this question in the various brand forums so I thought it would be a good idea to ask it here on neutral ground. I don't believe in "brand loyalty" so it could be anything.

The Fujifilm S1 strikes a cord for its 5-axis IS, articulated screen and hot shoe (I have 3-axis IS for stills and 5-axis IS for video on my 24x zoom Olympus SH-50 P&S, with faster and more reliable focussing for that reason).

The Olympus SP100EE appeals with its red dot sight, because I loose gannets in flight on LCDs and EVFs. But it has a 2-axis IS in the lens which I regard as a compromise between 5-axis and 2-axis IS on the sensor. It has no hot shoe, but it will be 20% cheaper than the Fujifilm S1. I have bought Olympus for the last 13 years, because I hate major re-programming of my autopilot in the wetware.

I do not consider the SONY H400 since it has a CCD (limited dynamic range compared to BSI-CMOS).

The SONY HX400 does have a BSI-CMOS sensor, but there is no picture yet in the DPReview camera listings, and the specs seem to have more than one mistake in them.

With massive discounts, last year's super zooms from all brands might be worth considering, if you can live with the fact that 2-axis IS is severely limiting even at 20x zoom.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow