WARNING: issues with B&H and A7

Started Feb 14, 2014 | Discussions thread
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,558
Re: WARNING: issues with B&H and A7

absentaneous wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

absentaneous wrote:

It's a common issue everywhere. The main problem is the fact that people are allowed to abuse the right to return stuff for any reason they please. What then happens is that people simply order stuff to just test it without ever having a serious intention of actually buying it. And this goes on the expense of serious and responsible buyers.

The problem with your logic is that you aren't accounting for those that order stuff to test it with the intention of deciding whether or not to keep it... and many times they do keep it which translates into more units sold and less cost per unit which helps the "serious and responsible buyers". And this isn't offset by the returns overall (although it certainly may be with some individual abusers).

wrong logic. those who keep what they buy are not a problem, those who don't are.

You are wrong. Spend about 5 minutes researching the subject and you will see that retailers have a percentage of returns that they consider ideal customers that fall into this category are their most valued customers. If you're below or above that range then you are probably not buying enough from them or you abuse their policies. They want you to buy on impulse and they do want you to sometimes return items. They don't want you to abuse the policy to the point where you return too much of what you buy (and many have systems in place to monitor this).

secondly, you can't imply people will stop buying cameras and stop being photographers if they don't get the chance to test them before buying them.

I didn't say that no one would buy but they will certainly buy less.

So, if you are unlucky then you can pretty much pay a full price for a supposedly "new camera" which already took a few thousands shots. That's a huge drawback about buying online. If you intend to spend a lot of money then it's much safer to just go to a shop and buy the camera there because they is much less likely or even unlikely that they will sold you a used camera as new.

Safer? What does that mean? If for some reason I did receive an item sold as new with a few thousand shots... I will exchange it and have the replacement delivered in a day or two and I won't pay shipping - or - the seller will offer a discount to account for the "open box" item. I suppose you could call it an inconvenience although driving across town to a brick and mortar is more of an inconvenience for me. If you order online from sellers that don't provide this level of service then that is your fault as there is plenty of information available to tell you which sellers you can depend on.

of course you will exchange it. but first you need to put it back in the box, go to the post office and send it back. then wait a few days to get a new one or maybe decide to buy elsewhere to avoid getting another used camera. why do you need to go through all that?

No, Amazon will send it to me to arrive the next day. They will also email me a return label to attach to the box and they will send someone to pick it up. You can make it sound like a hassle but it just isn't.

when I get something that I payed for a full price I expect to use it and not send it back.

Yes, no kidding. I suppose if it happens on a regular basis it would be a problem. I've ordered many many new items from B&H and Amazon and other retailers and I haven't once received a used item. I have, however, purchased a new item from a brick and mortar that was clearly returned. The idea that this is an issue for online shopping only is wrong.

In my opinion it shouldn't be allowed to return what you bought unless what you bought had a defect.

This will cost you more in the long run.

it won't cost me anything but save me from all the frustrations. I will only gain a guarantee that what I buy as new is actually new. again, it's not like people will stop buying stuff just because they can't test it first. you want to test it? well, go to a physical shop and test it there where they usually have a "demo" camera you can test and spare me the trouble of having to return stuff because you order it just to test it.

Do you not understand that what you say here is precisely why the online retailers offer the policies that they do? They obviously can't provide you with a demo camera and their policies take the risk out of buying something sight unseen. You might not like it and you might not want to do business that way but I prefer it. And most people are keeping what they buy and most retailers properly classify the items that are returned (at least the ones I use do).

I never ever returned anything that wasn't or faulty or already used because I am a responsible and serious buyer. I take the time to check things out before I buy them. if I have to then I take the time to check them out in person, read reviews and reports from other people who bought the same thing. if you do all that then you will always get what you expected to get and never will have a reason to return anything that works as it was supposed to work.

In general I agree with your comments here... I do the same. But there are many impulse buyers and less detailed buyers and the online retailers want their business too. It would be a death wish for the online retailers to implement a policy based on your method of buying and exclude these customers.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow