Best superzoom?

Started Feb 15, 2014 | Questions thread
mgd43 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,322
Re: Best superzoom?

As of now the Panasonic FZ200 is unique in that it has a lens that has a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths. This allows it to shoot in lower light and at lower iso's than other superzooms. On the other hand it is more expensive and it has a maximum focal length (zoom) of 600mm where others have 1000-1200mm. Whether you need more than 600mm is questionable. If you shoot sports or wildlife, especially small birds, you might.

A feature that I consider very important is the ability to take an accessory flash. An accessory flash can be used for bounce flash which gives a much nicer and more natural light than direct flash. Bounce flash is a technique where you bounce the light from the flash off of a white ceiling or wall. For this you need a flash that tilts and swivels.

If the FZ200 is more than you want to spend or you want the longer telephoto of other superzooms consider the Canon SX50HS, and Panasonic FZ70. I left out the Nikon P520 because it doesn't take an accessory flash.

Another one worth considering is the Olympus Stylus 1. It also has a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths and it has a little bigger sensor that can help in low light. On the negative side it costs $700 and the lens only goes to 300mm.

My first choice would be the FZ200 with the FZ70 second and the SX50HS third.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow