Help needed with new FZ200

Started Feb 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MonkeyPrince Junior Member • Posts: 48
Help needed with new FZ200

Hi

I recently bought an FZ200 to replace my Canon SX40 as I was tempted by the f2.8 lens, EVF and focus speed.  Prior to owning the SX40 I was a long time user of the FZ45.

Despite reading many hours worth of advice and setting-up help, I am really struggling to even match the IQ of the SX40 when doing (exhaustive) side by side comparisons.

I've read through dozens of threads. and watched some of Graham Houghton's useful videos.

Without doubt the focus speed and particularly the EVF are a vast improvement over the Canon, but despite the f2.8 lens allowing faster shutter speed and lower ISO I am finding the Canon is performing better at say f5.6 and ISO 640 than the Panny does at say f2.8 and ISO 100.

I've disabled all the inonsense, reduced NR to -2, sharpening to -1, capped the ISO to 400 etc

I mainly shoot aperture or speed priority, occasionally manual.

Although I dabble with RAW, I mainly prefer JPEG to save PP time.

Whilst I'm no expert, I'm not exactly a newbie either and I'm getting a bit frustrated (to be honest I'm considering a return).

I've tried side by side in bright sunshine, macro, wide angle, full zoom, indoors with/without flash, moon and lowlight portrait.  In all but a couple of shots the SX40 wins - grrr

To give anyone interested an idea of my SX40 results/capabilities here is a link to my Flickr stream (all but the woodland path, Nut Hatch and 2 Coal Tits are from the SX40).

I'd really appreciate any help or guidance, particularly from anyone with experience of both cameras.

Thanks

Jon

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 (Lumix DMC-FZ45)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow