70D + 100-400 + 1.4TC?

Started Feb 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 8,703
70D + 100-400 + 1.4TC?

At first this seems to be a topic which was beaten to death years ago - but maybe not, with the hybrid PDAF focusing mechanism of the 70D. Having owned (and sold) a Canon 100-400 L IS some years ago, I unexpectedly find myself needing long reach for a wildlife photography trip.

The 100-400 L IS still seems to be the best option which I could afford. I'd like to use it with a 1.4X TC - but with the TC, will it still autofocus with reasonable speed? Will it autofocus at all?

Are there any good alternatives to the Canon 100-400? From reading reviews and experiences, I get the following impressions: The Tamron 150-600 is apparently excellent for stationary subjects but is very slow to autofocus (therefore not satisfactory for moving subjects), and does not work well past 500. The Sigma 150 - 500 is bigger, heavier, and perhaps not quite as good in resolution and contrast as the Canon 100-400.

Any experiences or thoughts are welcome.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow