Started Feb 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,401
Re: Sony exits the PC business

Tom_N wrote:

malch wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

The press is reporting that Sony is out of the PC game

Ironic given that Sony basically created the mobile electronics market with the Walkman.

That was before they bought out the CBS/Columbia music and movie operations, around the time of the DAT fight. After they bought those operations, it seems as if their focus changed.

The original Walkman, Betamax VCR, and Triniton TVs were about enabling customers to do things; whereas "features" in many of Sony's later products seem to be about limiting or controlling use. (E.g., MagicGate restrictions on downloads to USB-equipped MiniDisc recorders; the removal of line inputs from many portable MiniDisc recorders; Super Audio CD DRM, Blu-Ray DRM, PlayStation DRM, and root kit "CDs".)

Exactly my feeling--I've owned a couple of Vaio laptops and still use a Sony amp for my home theater, but Sony has always found a way to shoot themselves in the foot by coming out with propitiatory media that no one else picks up on. They've always seemed more interested in locking their customers into their brand rather than the mass market appeal.

This always drove me crazy because Sony has good (overpriced) stuff, but there is too much excellent and affordable competition these days.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow