Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started Feb 6, 2014 | Polls thread
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338
Re: practicalities of Blu-Ray archiving?

kelpdiver wrote:

malch wrote:

Perhaps I'm being unfair to Blu-Ray. But by my reckoning, HDD's are a better overall option even if we give Blu-Ray media the benefit of the doubt and assume every burn of every disk is perfect in every respect. That's based on a combination of cost, disk management, performance, convenience, longevity, etc.

In the very long run, I think we'll more easily read a blu-ray data disk than mount an SATA drive.

But I don't need or expect my SATA drive to be readable for 50 years. I'll move the data to a new device (with full verification) every five years anyway!

It doesn't matter what you use -- at some point every media type is subject to some deterioration and the data will need to be rewritten to new media.

Perhaps Blu-Ray media will last 50 years and that gives it an advantage over HDD's. But nobody really knows for sure the longevity of Blu-Ray. 50 years life is more of a hope and aspiration than a fact.

In any event, when I do need to rewrite the data, I can say that rewriting a 2/3TB HDD will be one heck of a lot faster and more convenient than the equivalent Blu-Ray's.

So if SATA is replaced by TATA in 3 years, I'll rewrite my SATA disk to a TATA disk a couple of years later. Thus my data will always be on a relatively current storage technology.  Same when TATA is replaced. Yes, I'll have to perform more copy operations that I would with a medium having a 50 year life. But if the copy is fast and convenient that's not a big deal.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow