On Foveon X3 Quattro...

Started Feb 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 36,392
Re: On Foveon X3 Quattro...

ChristianHass wrote:

I wonder if you couldn't get much the same advantage with the Merrill sensor by pixel binning the green and red layers as part of doing the conversion?

I'm sure it's cheaper to produce a sensor with less photosites as the deeper layers, but it would be interesting with a "Quattro" conversion mode in SPP for the Merrills.

As I replied earlier- what you mention is an interesting thought but if I had to guess- it's just harder to produce better quality photo sites perhaps in the Merrill arrangement, and you have more circuitry/heat/interference to deal with... plus the new sensor probably benefits for new manufacturing/design processes.

It's still an interesting question the one you raise- if I had to guess, it may help as a software solution but won't match the new hardware arrangement.

-- hide signature --

Shooting for fun and memories.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/christianhass/

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow