Penrax K3 weather sealing problem.

Started Feb 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,346
Re: One faulty camera doesn't make a pattern (nt)

me_tarzan wrote:

Fair comment but it's just that in so many years of being a Pentax user (film and digital), this is the first time that I've had a new Pentax that has a glaring mechanical fault. I've seen software issues with Pentax. They were irritating but rain getting into a weatherproof camera is a fundamental fail. Pentax is such a respected name, their equipment has been used by professionals and amateurs for 60 years. I just hope that this experience of mine isn't a harbinger of Pentax's future.

Like others have said I wouldn't read too much into it.  You've had a good run with Pentax and what statistic there are don't show a lot of difference in reliability between brands.

I've read one other report of seal failure and that was - I think - a K30 it was over a year old but the fault had probably been there for the whole life of the camera, it just didn't get splashed for a while.

If the camera is new, I would demand a replacement, not a repair. If it left the factory not sealing properly I wouldn't trust a repair to put it right. Besides, if you have the only K3 where the seals failed in the field Ricoh will probably want to examine it

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow