Camera to satisfy "action" needs: 6D or 70D?

Started Feb 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
Myer Senior Member • Posts: 2,831
Re: Camera to satisfy "action" needs: 6D or 70D?

I went from a Rebel T2i (550) to a 70D. So I'm comparing different "from" cameras.

I take almost no video so that's of little consequence. I took some videos a few days ago. They look fantastic. I used my 15-85 lens and I couldn't hear any focus noise. Of course, there was enough noise in the room.

I took a couple of photos during the movie taking and while I could tell there was a one second pause of the movie, it's because I knew it was going to happen. My wife didn't comment on it or notice it.

Still, movies are of little interest to me.

Low light, high ISO performance is partially in your head. What I mean is what I consider good may be garbage to you.

Low light on the 6D is great. Low light on the 70D is way better than the T2i (550). I find that if I properly expose on the 70D even 12,800 is quite good. I took a shot and tried cleaning it in NeatImage. Usually, this program makes noise look a lot worse than it is on the incoming image. I could barely see the noise on the incoming image. After cleaning I compared the images and they both looked the same.

So, depending upon your eyes and expectations, if you properly expose at 12,800 you may be pleasantly surprised.

My first reaction is to under-expose at a lower ISO and clean. That way I thought I could take advantage of better quality at a lower ISO. Not the case. I find that on the 70D exposing properly at a higher ISO results in much better quality than I expected.

Focus and photographing children. People look at photos of my grandchildren and wonder how I get such good results. What I don't tell them is that if you take 1,000 photos you're bound to get a few good ones.

It's like wildlife photography. Take a lot and show the great ones. You have two choices; One-Shot that jumps into focus or AI-Servo that slides into focus and tracks. Depending upon your backgrounds you may either use single-shot center or 9-point center. 9-Point center is easier to pick up the subject (such as birds or planes).

Since your child's motion will change every month, try various combinations of the above and see which results in more in-focus shots.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow