Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started Feb 6, 2014 | Polls thread
kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,506
Re: I'm a "pack rat" ;-)

Jim Cockfield wrote:

I use software for that purpose (rating them using 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars, etc.). IOW, I may start out rating images I want to narrow down further as 2 stars. Then, use a rating filter to go through those and rate them as 3 stars, then find the best ones out of those and rate them as 4 stars, etc., until I end up with a small set of keepers. After that, I'll move the final keepers into a separate folder that I'll also move to online storage like dropbox.

But, I still never delete the other images.

I tend to keep *everything*. Sometimes I may take hundreds and hundreds of photos of nothing more than a stopwatch on a computer screen, with audio recordings of the sequence that I analyze later for frame rate, number of photos before a slowdown, frame rate after the camera's buffer fills up, etc. Do I really need to keep them? Nope. But, I do anyway.

Too much work, esp for the rate at which you're generating them, Jim.

I fully bought into Kelby's reasoning against the 5 star system.  Per him, all you really care about are the 5 stars (which you want to do something with - why display subpar) and the 1 stars (which you delete on the spot).   In Lightroom, these are picks and rejects.

So when I drop a photo run only the computer, I first run through and (P)ick the obvious standouts, and (R)eject all the crap - the out of focus, blurred horribly, subject partially out of frame, the WTF was I thinking.   And the end of that, I delete all the rejects from the catalog and disk.  Then I make one more sweep to identify Picks.  At this point, I rename all Picks from the generic IMG_xxxx name to something suitable like Galagos2013-xxxx (I choose to keep the original canon 4 digit number rather than go simple sequential).  And potentially apply tags to.   And these named files are the ones I proceed to process.   The IMG ones remain for future looks, though in time I'll like purge them aggressively.

The other win this gives me is that I have auto sync jobs that only copy the named files from my images/2013/subject tree to my proofs/2013/subject tree.  This is the mount I feed to media players or DNLA servers as the default, so I can do a quick slideshow or search without having 453 less interesting or repetitive shots.  And it's the mount I more aggressively protect against loss.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow