Canon 5D mark III in street photography

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Jovo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,200
Re: Canon 5D mark III in street photography

murksch wrote:

I am using my Canon 5D mark II often in street photography. Because of the not so good AF-system, more than some photos are not sharp on the subject, the house behind them is. None of the AF points covered the subject walking on the street. I am thinking about buying the mark III because the AF-system is far more sophisticated. But searching the web I couldn't find any article describing the performance of the new AF-system in street photography, especially in hip-shots. Did anyone use the mark III in street photography and if so, is the AF-system performing really better than the AF-system of the mark II for this kind of photography?

I took almost 5000 photos using the MKII of people passing by. I shot them at 200mm f/2.8 to get great bokeh using the non IS version of the 70-200mm f2.8L and very few were OOF.

Sure the AF on the MK III is better, but it sounds more like you need to look at your technique - hip shots give you very little control.

Jovo's gear list:Jovo's gear list
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow