Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started Feb 6, 2014 | Polls thread
Jim Cockfield Forum Pro • Posts: 16,338
Re: I'm a "pack rat" ;-)

DuaneV wrote:

See, Im the antithesis of a pack rat. I'm a portrait photographer and once I shoot a clients session and I've culled the keepers they get to see them and cull from there. When I shoot a senior session I might shoot 200 images and cull it to 60 then the client with cull it to 40. That's all I keep. And after 5-7 years I contact the clients to see if they want the images because they're going in the trash. I loath the thought of keeping just about anything. I hate clutter and junk laying around. If I haven't worn a piece of clothing for a year it gets donated.

Not me.  I think I've still got my second grade homework in a box somewhere, and you should see the old computers I still have in my office, garage, attic, etc.  

Now, don't get me wrong, as I still "cull" images.   I make take a couple of thousand images and only end up with 40 or 50 keepers.

I use software for that purpose (rating them using 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars, etc.).   IOW, I may start out rating images I want to narrow down further as 2 stars. Then, use a rating filter to go through those and rate them as 3 stars, then find the best ones out of those and rate them as 4 stars, etc., until I end up with a small set of keepers.   After that, I'll move the final keepers into a separate folder that I'll also move to online storage like dropbox.

But, I still never delete the other images.

I tend to keep *everything*.  Sometimes I may take hundreds and hundreds of photos of nothing more than a stopwatch on a computer screen, with audio recordings of the sequence that I analyze later for frame rate, number of photos before a slowdown, frame rate after the camera's buffer fills up, etc.  Do I really need to keep them?  Nope.  But, I do anyway.

IOW, I *never* throw away any images, no matter how unimportant.

From my perspective, disk space is cheap.  Of course, I'm not trying to store them on optical media either.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow