Is it me or do all fuji xtrans photos look a little soft?

Started Feb 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
Randy Benter
Randy Benter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,191
Re: Is it me or do all fuji xtrans photos look a little soft?

It depends on how the X-Trans image is processed. OOC JPEGs can look a bit soft and Adobe output can look very soft. Perhaps you see many soft X-Trans images because Adobe is still the most popular converter. Other converters do a better job of bringing out the fine details. Here is a crop from the same image processed in Photo Ninja and Adobe. I see significantly more detail in the PN image, especially the foliage and the ropes. Some will say that the LR image just needs a bit more sharpening, but I don't think so; the LR sharpening was already cranked up to 112 for this crop. I have also tried NIK sharpening with Adobe files, but it only made a small difference. If anyone thinks they can use Adobe to extract the same level of details as the PN version, then I would love to see it and know what settings were used.

Soft Adobe Output - Click and view at 100%

Detailed PN Output - Click and view at 100%

The raw image was shared by forum member johanPO in a different thread.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Apple Aperture Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow