Just received my 16-35 VR, want to check sample variation

Started Jan 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
sd40 Senior Member • Posts: 1,554
Re: Just received my 16-35 VR, want to check sample variation

Dan_168 wrote:

AZ Steve wrote:

I very much doubt that this lens is any more subject to sample variation than any other complex VR zoom. The lens is often criticized by f/2.8 enthusiasts and those who feel VR is not needed on wide angle lenses. The edges are indeed weak at 35mm. For the corners f/8 helps over much of the focal length range, and some people don't like to have to stop down.

My concern with this lens was not on the long end but on the short ens, it has worse distortion at 16mm than the 14-24 at 14, wider open or stop down it never reach the same performance level as the 14-24, especially the corner there is a pretty obvious difference.

I own the 16-35 and rented the 14-24 to do some comparisons.  I found them to be equally sharp at f/5.6 and f/8.  There was no "obvious difference."

YMMV.

sd40's gear list:sd40's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow