Is m4/3 stagnant?

Started Feb 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
rpm40
rpm40 Senior Member • Posts: 2,352
Re: Is m4/3 stagnant?

dgrogers wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

the Panasonic 35-100 really isn't that expensive at $600 for what it does... You need less lenses for Micro Four Thirds and there is good lenses in every focal length. You can build a complete kit with Micro Four Thirds pretty much with three lenses. You're looking at a Sigma lens that costs over $1000 to get something similar in full frame or APS-C. What's more is that 16megapixel Micro Four Thirds cameras have better IQ than everything Canon offers and most of the Nikon mid range APS-C gear, as well as Sony up to the A900.

I don't know what you are complaining about?

Where did you find a 35-100 for $600?

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

I was just going to say...the 35-100 REALLY isn't that expensive at $600. Now, where can I get one for that price? At least double that is the going rate.

To address the OP, yes, I think you're missing something. If you are hung up on resolution or depth of field, get 35mm. But m4/3 is not stagnating. Sensors take a while to improve, and this generation of 16mp sensors has been around about 2 years now. How long has Canon been on the same generation, and how many bodies have they released? Tons.

In the 2 years or so since the new sensor came out (which I think is still competitive), m4/3 has remained fresh in other areas- PDAF in the E-M1, several new forms of stabilization, great advances in EVFs, the TINY and innovative G-M1, a stream of new lenses of all different types (75 1.8, 42.5 1.2, 12-40, 12-35, body cap lenses, 3rd party, you name it). And m4/3 is keeping up in the gadget game with the other makers, adding in wifi, touchscreens, etc.

There is a heck of a lot more going on in m4/3 right now than in most systems. If you aren't excited lately because you want sensor development to happen more quickly, there's not much that can be done, and if you aren't satisfied because m4/3 doesn't give you the high mp or shallow dof you want, that's just reflecting your personal tastes which seem to be better satisfied by a larger format.

Mirrorless systems are FAR more innovative lately than DSLR systems, if you ask me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow