Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started Feb 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 496
Re: Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

boardsy wrote:

5nex7 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Glad I read this little thread. I was thinking of getting one, but this put me off a bit. Maybe I should just get the SEL3518 instead.

The E35 is a nice little lens. But I am also expecting delivery of my Metabones SB (A-mount) tomorrow. The idea is primarily for portraiture. I will post feedback of my experiences here.

Interestingly enough, a lens I am really keen to see perform with SB is a cheap old Minolta 35-70/4. That lens is small and excellent wide open. On APSc, its weakness has been a limited range (50-105mm equiv), but with speed booster, it has the potential for a small and light 25-50/2.8 lens.

37 - 75mm / F2.8 ff equivalent on APS-C

I also have Minolta 70-210/4, which will become 50-150/2.8 with SB.

75 - 223mm / F2.8 ff equivalent on APS-C

Looking forward to the results.

And my 135/2.8 STF is really the lens I expect to use the most as it will become more useable as a portrait lens on APSc (95mm/2 equiv) when used on NEX-6 while a mid tele on a55 (200mm equiv).

143mm / F2 ff equivalent on APS-C

Yep, close to the FOV they were all intedended for while gaining on shutter speed.

IQ remains to be seen but on paper it looks very interesting. Based on the results, I might also convert my Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 to A-mount and that will give me an effective 35/1.2 APSc lens on SB.

Yes, IQ remains to be seen.

I have my doubts.. if I believe that a filter in front of a lens will degrade the IQ - and I do believe this, how could I believe that a complex optical system behind the lens would not degrade it, more, it would improve the image ?

FDn 50/1.4 at f2.8 + Zhongyi Lens Turbo:

FDn 50/1.4 @ f2.8 + LT

-- hide signature --

my Flickr

Very nice demo for shallow, full-frame-like depth of field.

I am curios if you can have also frame wide sharpness at F11.

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow