re: a lot of pressure on Sony now ... part-II

Started Jan 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
nevercat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193
Re: The GM1 is unique and is no competitor

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Thanks for the little GM1 chat - I think we are about to run out of posting room on this thread. As a personal explanation - I am not trying to "sell" anyone the GM1 but simply bringing this quite remarkable camera to general notice.

It is not for everyone for the obvious reasons but it is a pretty good product where the smallest practical size has been matched to a useful sized sensor. Where is is just as amazing in its own right as the A7 is in its sensor-size field is that it does work so well and Panasonic has provided a very satisfactory user interface that is arguably quite as good as the A7 type, certainly friendlier, and also a more enthusiast level operating system with features such as interval shooting and four custom modes that NEX users could only dream about. Six configurable function keys plus quickmenu to the NEX single function key (effectively quickemu) and two fairly limited versatility softkeys.

Nex has more softkeys then two. Look at the Nex 7 The AEL/focus button is in fact a customizable soft key, Then you have the centre key of the control wheel on the back, it can house 3 functions, so it is in fact 3 soft keys, then there is the right swich on the control wheel that is a adaptable soft button, and at last there is the soft buton on the bottom. So if fact the Nex 7 houses 6 softbuttons and a quickmenu.

Then other buttons which they both have in common. the NEX6 does have an extra wheel, but the GM1 is so configured that an extra wheel is hardly necessary.

So the NEX6 is more GX7 class and the A7 is in a class by itself. The GM1 is pretty unique and simply "interesting", not competing directly.

The only real thing about the GM1 that makes it unique is its size for the rest it is like many other m43 cameras. So it i a good camera for people who want a realy small package with moderate to high IQ.

The Nex 5x Is in many ways the camera that is compeeting with the Panasonic GM1. When you want the smallest camera you go for the GM1, if you want an articulating LCD screen, the option of an EVF, a larger sensor, then the Nex 5 is more for you.

If you want on top of that a build in EVF, the Nex 6 is a very good choice.

And do you want a small FF camera then there are only the A7 and A7r (not counting the over expensive Leica cameras)

So the GM1 is a great little camera, but to make it that small they had to cut some corners. Like no externa flash possible, no EVF possible, no grip standard, adding the grip will make the camera larger, and more expensive. And for me the biggest downside of the camera is that I have to control it mainly by the touchscreen. Touchscreens are no freinds with my hands, often the touchscreen of my phone will not react, others who sometimes use my phone have no problems there, so I will not buy a camera with an interface that might not work under all conditions with me... (that is very personal, as I see that many people have no problem with touchscreens)

I will limit my response to a single post to give room for last replies

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
gil
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow