re: a lot of pressure on Sony now ... part-II

Started Jan 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,530
Tom: about compromises...

...for a stretch in my past I was shooting 6x6 cm and 645 MF formats, I-st with TLR Rolleis, and then with various Hassy, Bronica and Contax 645 bodies. And I'm still longing and miss those times.

Alas, the cost of film, processing, bulk and heft of the bodies, all conspired to make it not possible anymore. So, the I-st compromise was to go FF film with various Eos'es. And then to APS-C with quite a chain of digitals (Eos'es again, although pretty quickly I got disappointed with xxxD and even xxD series, and settled on the 7d).

But one needs to stop somewhere - compromises are ugly, yes, but necessary... how much sad it might sound. Thus... APS-C is as small as I'm willing to accept, nothing smaller will do for me,sorry The DOF is acceptably thin if necessary, DR is passable, and I can live with the level of noise in low-light, high-ISO situations, but only just. These are pretty important, but I do not find them in m4/3 gear, and of course not in anything even smaller. Luckily the N7-classic arrived on the scene two years ago, together with Conurus smart adapters - solving the bulk+heft problem and yielding the best APS-C IQ results coupled with excellent cropability and reach advantage I've ever experienced.

Nonetheless, my APS-C N7-classic compromise is not perfect - the missing component is of course its so horribly sluggish AF speed. Today I'm fed up with waiting for S. to finally muster enough brains and will to design and produce AF OSPDAF worthy an attempt to capture even most demanding fast, dynamic action shooting opportunities. Period.

Hence the interest in XT-1 - hoping that the preliminary reports of its [supposedly amazing] AF'ing capabilities are correct, and will be confirmed in real situations afield.

jpr2

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
gil
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow