14mm 2.5 vs 17mm 1.8

Started Jan 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,735
Re: 14mm 2.5 vs 17mm 1.8

tamras29 wrote:

Having complained about the horrible CA using my Panny 14mm f2.5 on my OM-D EM5, I was looking forward this afternoon to trying the Oly 17mm f1.8 expecting great improvements. The CA is indeed almost unnoticeable, even wide open, but I really was expecting some better IQ too? The images attached are 100% crops from the centre of each, adjusted slightly to compensate for the different focal lengths. JPEGS straight our of camera. As hard as I try, I don't think I can see the difference. The 14mm is wide open at f2.5 the 17mm at F2.8. Same results as aperture goes down. Should I be expecting better from the pro prime compared to the "kit" lens?

Panny 14mm f2.5

Oly 17mm F1.8 @ f2.8

I`m not really sure of what your trying to say posting two pretty bleak examples, as if one should be better than the other, I`m not surprised that your seeing little difference.

These are two lovely lenses, each with there own characteristics and both will perform flawlessly put to task in more suitable situations.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow