14mm 2.5 vs 17mm 1.8

Started Jan 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,546
Re: 14mm 2.5 vs 17mm 1.8

amalric wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

amalric wrote:

I was tempted to buy the 17mm but after the first negative reports preferred to get the inexpensive Sigma 19/2.8 (and the 30mm). They have all similar high resolution and neutral colour, so they are all a good complement.

The 14mm can have a terrible CA but it usually does facing the sun or when the sun is low, so I try to avoid it. The Sigmas have no flare, and all three have instant AF, so on the whole I am pretty happy having the same good resolution and colour across the focal range.

Mind you a hood for the 14mm would solve the CA, or almost.

Am.

The Sigmas have no flare, and all three have instant AF, so on the whole I am pretty happy having the same good resolution and colour across the focal range.

The 19mm can flare and will just like any other lens but it is one of the fastest focusing and sharpest at it price point, it is almost as sharp as the 20mm.

Not really:

"Chromatic aberrations are reasonably well controlled, just exceeding 0.75 pixel widths towards the edges of the frame at f/5.6. This low level of CA should pose few issues, even in large prints, or harsh crops from near thee edges of the frame." (ePhotozine)/imatest)

By the piccie I gather you changed your nick...

Am.

Just using my original

The flare is there when you want it with the 19mm, if you don`t want it then it is easy enough to avoid.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow