When a nice large buffer is fun and useful

Started Jan 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,309
When a nice large buffer is fun and useful

With all the discussion about the need or desire for a larger RAW buffer (at least 20 shots), I thought I'd share an example.

From a recent soccer game, this was the most appreciated sequence of shots (16 shots in a row) and it's the whole sequence that tells the story. It was a potential scoring play, I expected a possible shot at any moment so I started grabbing shots, then as the sequence unfolded, it just kept going so I kept my finger on the shutter until the final outcome.  With a 7 image buffer (e.g. D7100), I wouldn't have much of the story to tell here (this was shot with a rented D700).  Now, I don't usually record soccer sequences this long, but it is nice to be able to when you want to.

When I shared this one, I titled it "You make the call" as there was plenty of controversy around whether this should have been a penalty kick for a foul in the box (no foul was called in the actual game).  I think you could argue the call either way.  The team in white won 1-0 so this play/call did not decide the game though the score was 0-0 at the time between two of the top teamsin the league so it was a big deal.

#17 has position on the ball and #6 is coming in a bit from the side

First contact.  #17 is just a hair ahead which makes the contact from #6 a little bit in the back

You could argue that the shoulder contact here which is somewhat "from behind" is what ultimately knocks #17 off her feet and should be a cause for a foul

You could also argue that the girl in black clips the left leg from behind causing here to fall (which would be a foul) - though this is not conclusive and it is just as likely to be because she's thrown off balance by the earlier contact

-- hide signature --
Nikon D700 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow