re: a lot of pressure on Sony now ... part-II

Started Jan 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,352
Re: Gary: Nik's N-1, S's N6 vs. F's XT-1 for action shooting/tracking

jpr2 wrote:

GaryW wrote:

From many reviewers and posts, the Nikon 1 series did manage to have fast hybrid PDAF. If that was the most important feature, shouldn't it have done better? Perhaps the Fuji can bridge the gap between the two, but I'm not convinced that my Nex-6 AF is so bad....

...the Nikon's N1/N2 series indeed show pretty good AF'ing esp. in the tracking context, however, their tiny sensors put that class of 1" cameras firmly outside of my interest. There already are some samples of action type shootouts... with the XT-1. Not very stringent or extremely ambitious in my book, but in the past I took part in many mixed gear gatherings (mostly BIFs, some falconry shows, acrobatics, etc. the usual kind of events where one can expect a good mix of photogs in some informal settings = conductive to info exchanges), usually inclusive of some Nex-6 or Nex-5R shooters, and with no exception they were able to capture at best few keepers, whereas all others captured dozens if not hundreds of keepers .

So... pretty lenient settings - any DSLR will cope with this with no problems, yet it seemed beyond hope for any APS-C sensored MILC before the XT-1:

Fujifilm X-T1, XF56mmF1.2 R (pre-production), SOOC JPEG

You don't own a Nikon 1 so you can't know. Sony themselves use 1" sensors in several cameras which are competitive to their APS-C cameras in certain circumstances. But the N1 have continuous, fast sharp AF down to a science and the Aptina 1" sensor with Nikon dual-core processor are capable of astonishing results.

The lack of success of the N1 as a market leader is due to style/ perception on the part of the public...therefore a marketing-design failure + lackof committment, on the part of Nikon.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow