re: a lot of pressure on Sony now ... part-II

Started Jan 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,906
Re: Gary: Nik's N-1, S's N6 vs. F's XT-1 for action shooting/tracking

jpr2 wrote:

GaryW wrote:

From many reviewers and posts, the Nikon 1 series did manage to have fast hybrid PDAF. If that was the most important feature, shouldn't it have done better? Perhaps the Fuji can bridge the gap between the two, but I'm not convinced that my Nex-6 AF is so bad....

...the Nikon's N1/N2 series indeed show pretty good AF'ing esp. in the tracking context, however, their tiny sensors put that class of 1" cameras firmly outside of my interest.

Yeah, there's a clear tradeoff -- smaller sensor, but better AF tracking.  The prices were still kind of high originally, as I recall.

There already are some samples of action type shootouts... with the XT-1. Not very stringent or extremely ambitious in my book, but in the past I took part in many mixed gear gatherings (mostly BIFs, some falconry shows, acrobatics, etc. the usual kind of events where one can expect a good mix of photogs in some informal settings = conductive to info exchanges), usually inclusive of some Nex-6 or Nex-5R shooters, and with no exception they were able to capture at best few keepers, whereas all others captured dozens if not hundreds of keepers .

I find BIF to be notoriously difficult, an edge-case if you will.  I'm not sure I had a lot of keepers with my DSLR, but I never went out of my way to just do "birding", so I have not really thought through the settings.  The last time I made an attempt, the birds were too dark and blurred, even though I had raised the EV and used 1/400 shutter -- I notice that some people use 1/4000!  Next time, I'll try to make that change....

So... pretty lenient settings - any DSLR will cope with this with no problems, yet it seemed beyond hope for any APS-C sensored MILC before the XT-1:

Fujifilm X-T1, XF56mmF1.2 R (pre-production), SOOC JPEG

Yeah, I saw this sequence.  Looks promising. I think this is as much as most people would want/need.

I'd really like to try this with my Nex-6.  Not sure what settings to use -- speed priority?  And AEL with Shutter set to off.

jpr2

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
gil
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow