re: a lot of pressure on Sony now ... part-II

Started Jan 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,516
re: the AF which delivers for a really fast action - will be the answer

edwardaneal wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

...as the part-I run into a wall of 150 posts per thread limit, due in not small degree to a myriad of one-liner posts by few users well known for such a tactic - who always try to derail threads they don't agree with, here is the part-II.

in particular just take a peek on very many examples here, including quite well documented series of moderately fast action, where XT-1 seems to coped pretty well. Also the SOOC images are quite amazing - already with XP-1 I was smitten by such excellent IQ from a low Mpx sensor, but these look even better

jpr2

price wise the XT-1 competes with the Sony a7

seriously how can you say sony is under pressure? with the right lens the A7 should kill any APS-c camera of equal or less mp

fact is right now all of the other mirror less camera companies are the ones who have the pressure on them trying to catch up with the A7 and the A7r

as a side note I would bet my NEX-7 with my sigma 60mm f/2.8 easily out resolves anything Fuji or any other mirror less camera manufacture makes other than the A7 & A7r.

there is one - but pretty important - area where all Sony's MILCs and cybershots consistently lag behind, namely quick and yet accurate AF for truly fast action shooting & tracking. And I've a quite a long story behind me of waiting, and waiting for a competent yet small body which delivers such a functionality:

• ...after about two decades of shooting film Eos'es I went with a Rebel (it was 400d), and was dearly disappointed with both AF speed and accuracy;
  • few years latter the 40d followed = greatly improved accuracy but... still not enough speed;
  • then finally (slightly more than 4 years ago) the 7d arrived = a digital body I was waiting for all that time - fast and also accurate, but... by then it felt too heavy and too big ;
  • so... the N7 followed, dismally slow AF'er, and the whole cycle started to repeat itself, again - endless wait for them to do it right... arrrrgh!!

so, here we're, waiting for the Nex-7 mk-II, and keeping fingers crossed that perhaps finally it will be the NEX akin to the legendary 7d's AF'ing performance (fat chance for that of course, but... hope is free, right?? ).

The samples in the link above suggest that XT-1 might have an answer, and as for me the APS-C is the smallest sensor I'd accept, the achievements in AF by the Nikon's N1/N2 series, or from Oly's OMG line of MILCs are not tempting at, all due to their tiny sensors .

EDIT: not sure of what you might mean that XT-1 competes with the A7 price wise - after all it is 500 USD cheaper, although I agree that the current price point is to high, as well as the XT-1 is too large for what it houses inside. Be it the size of the Nex-7 and without a hump would bring me to a forefront of preorders line in a heart beat

jpr2

PS and the meantime Canon decided to screw the outstanding 7d's AF when they released 70d - supposedly with exactly the same AF hardware, but crippled in FW with several crucial AF features stripped/disabled - most importantly the spot-AF is no more present !!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
gil
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow