A reminder for some memebers as to what the F stop is all about.

Started Jan 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,187
What the F stop is & Off Topic

This thread is about the f-stop of a lens, not equivalency. F-stop is, in simple terms, a ratio of the aperture opening to the focal length. Nothing else. It doesn’t matter what format you’re using. Whatever sensor you have is what you have to work with.

It’s of no use to say my Olympus 90-250 f/2.8 would be a 90-250 f/2.8 on “FF” (or argue it’s an f/5.6) because the lens will never be used on a FF sensor. And it doesn’t matter a bit that you can have a 600 mm f/4 lens on a canikon “FF”. Or that it would be a 1200 mm f/4 on 4/3 if only you could find an adapter, because it's never going to be put on a 4/3 format camera.

This argument is a waste of time and energy. People here chose Olympus 4/3 and m4/3. They don’t care and it doesn’t matter what a 35 mm sensor can do.

It's unfortunate that someone or several people have hijacked this thread to start an argument about equivalency with as many people as they can get angry enough to reply. Some will keep it going by bending the subject in every post to fit their ever-changing opinions.

I wish people would stop responding to this inane argument, ignore people who post these off-topic flames and Complain when they get abusive.

Off-Topic is one of the categories of Complaint when you hit that option. Flame baiting is another option. These arguments fit both of those categories. I regret that I can only hit the Complain button a couple of times a day. But all of you could hit it collectively many times. Let the moderators know you don’t appreciate this hijacking of every other thread in the forum.

You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
tko
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow