A reminder for some memebers as to what the F stop is all about.

Started Jan 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 43,011
Re: Question:

philosomatographer wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

If you want to say that you enjoy using your E5 and SHG lenses, and are pleased with the photos they produce, I would never argue against it. If you want to go further and say that you prefer the output of the E5 and your SHG lenses to any other system, I would never argue against it. Indeed, I've heard people make the same types of comments about the original 5D vs its successors.

It's when you imply that the E5 and SHG lenses are "better than" any other system out there as a blanket statement that I take exception.

In my opinion, the SHG lenses *are* better than anything similar to what Canon, Nikon or Leica have been able to produce in those ranges.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion.

If this blanket statement bothers you, you are fully within your rights to ignore it.

Well, "bothers" isn't really the word.  I simply prefer "aficionado" statements to be backed up with something more substantial.

Have you used a wide-enough range of lenses and systems to really tell, though? If so, let's just agree to disagree.

Truth be told, I don't think the IQ differential really matters to the vast majority.  Post a nice pic with stripped EXIF from the 50-200 / 2.8-3.5 and say it was from the 35-100 / 2, and no one will doubt you.  Post a bad pic from the 35-100 / 2, and people will praise you just because you own something so expensive.  It's the same in all the forums.

The E-5 is most certainly not even 'competitive' - the sensor is horribly outdated, and these lenses are starved of a worthy sensor.

Will they not work on the EM1?

From a detail rendition aspect, it's just about the best 12MP sensor you're going to ever find.But it's a noisy, DR-limited 12MP.

To me, you can't get a photo with just a lens or just a sensor.  You kind of need both.  So what matters is how the lens performs on the available sensors.  I mean, would you brag about owning a Ferrari if it sported wheels and tires from a Camry?  I mean, why not just get a Camry -- it's a pretty decent car.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
tko
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow