A reminder for some memebers as to what the F stop is all about.

Started Jan 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 43,017
Re: And the answer is:

DonSC wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Instead of "same ISO", how about we say, "same f-ratio and shutter speed", as the ISO setting isn't particularly relevant to the matter at hand, and the cameras may not meter the scene the same at the same ISO setting.

Then the EM1 photo will have less noise since it has a more efficient sensor. The EM1 photo will be more detailed since it has 4x as many pixels on the subject.

Now let's assume we had a FF sensor made with the exact same pixels as the EM1 sensor. Then the photos would be all but identical.

I don't know the answer but I'm thinking that the 1Dx image would have less noise (because the pixels are so much larger and larger pixels are less noisy because the signal increases faster than the noise) and the E-M1 image would be more detailed.

I just now realized you said "1Dx" -- in my initial reply, I thought you said "1Ds", so that will change my answer to what you were thinking.  That is, the noise would be about the same for both, but the EM1 photo would be more detailed.

I was thinking of giving it a try but there is this pesky lens issue (among other issues) and I'm not sure how to get around that.

It would be an interesting demonstration, if you could swing it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
tko
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow