A reminder for some memebers as to what the F stop is all about.

Started Jan 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
philosomatographer
philosomatographer Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: Question:

Great Bustard wrote:

Close Encounter

Would the "success" of that photo suffered if it had been instead taken at 83mm, 1/2000, f/2.8, ISO 200 with a 50-200 / 2.8-3.5 instead of the 83mm, 1/4000, f/2, ISO 200 with the 35-100 / 2 that you used?

If so, then that's why some choose larger formats. If not, why not use the smaller, lighter, and less expensive zoom that has a much greater focal range? Is it for the 35-50mm end of the zoom?

That's a fair question indeed. You know what? I don't think the success of the photo has much to do with the gear at all - I'd like to take most of the credit. Could i have made this exact photo with a 70-200mm f/4 on a 5D MkIII? Sure. It would not be as sharp and contrasty across the frame - it really wouldn't - but that doesn't matter. We're talking minor differences here that don't impact the content of a photo.

The 50-200 is not in the same class as the 35-100 - and I think the frustration of being limited to a rather deep field of focus would outweigh any optical signature, unlike with the 35-100. The 50-200 is a "practical, budget-friendly" lens, the 35-100 is an uncompromising showpiece of a lens.

I'd like to think - and this is borne out of my experience using many systems - that there is something utterly special about the flawless rendering, insane microcontrast, out-of-focus transition etc of the ZD 35-100mm at f/2.0. I have yet to see it matched by another 70-200mm lens at f/4.0, but we're talking about the very edge of the performance envelope here, and it's only visible when you pixel-peep or look at large prints.

I have to add that you really don't have to tell me about "that's why some use larger formats" - I use much larger formats than what you do on an almost daily basis. It's purely a matter of liking this range of lenses, because they are optically special for the kind of work that I like to produce.

They harmonise nicely with the look I get from my Leica M lenses on film. The grain of the E-5 sensor even helps

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
tko
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow