A reminder for some memebers as to what the F stop is all about.

Started Jan 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
windsprite
windsprite Senior Member • Posts: 2,689
Very OT: Japanese drinking customs

Because this is more fun than Equivalence Argument #13,962:

bobn2 wrote:

My memory of Japan is that beer is served in shot glasses, which means you can neck quite a few and still stand up.

Hmmm. Usually if you order "a beer" you get a pint of draft, or you can specify a pint and a half. I don't know what's up with the shot glasses. I've never been served beer that way.

Are you sure it wasn't sake? That comes to you in a 180 ml server, with a little shot glass for each person. The alcohol content of sake is more than twice than that of Japanese beer but less than half that of hard liquor. It's usually around 14%, like grape wine.

If you order a serving of sake for one person, sometimes they will put a 150 ml or so glass in a small dish and pour in 180 ml of sake so that it overflows into the dish. This is visually lovely and makes you feel nicely pampered.

When you drink in large groups, for example at an office party or wedding reception, often large bottles of beer are put around the room and everyone is given a 5- or 6-oz. (150-180 ml) glass. Maybe this is what you remember? The rules are:

1) Don't pour your own beer (or any other drink, even non-alcoholic ones)

2) Don't let anyone else's glass get empty

3) Never refuse to let some one fill your glass

The mutual pouring of drinks is a bonding experience. The small glasses allow more opportunities for bonding!

Sometimes there will be sake (or shochu -- distilled liquor) alongside the beer. I've been to office parties where they fill an empty lacquerware soup bowl with sake and pass it around so that everyone can take a sip (well -- many, many sips).

The problem when other people pour your drinks before the glass is empty (and this happens dozens of times throughout the evening) is that you have no way of keeping track of how much you have drunk!

First time I experienced one of these office parties, the following day I had to take a two-hour bus trip at five in the morning to get to the airport to catch a 20-hr. international flight. Let's just say I was glad I had the presence of mind to take the motion sickness bag from the bus with me to the airline counter ....

Sometimes at these parties they will have huge ash trays or shallow pans under the tables (usually you are sitting at low tables on tatami mats), and it's acceptable to discreetly dump the contents of your glass into them, as long as you leave a little bit so that it doesn't look like your companions committed the faux pas of letting your glass get empty. This is especially common at wedding receptions, where the bride and groom sit at a table at the head of the room and hundreds of guests line up to honor them with a congratulatory pour.

The important thing is that you are always ready to receive more alcohol in case someobody wants to "bond" with you!

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +45 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
tko
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow