Nothwistanding the Pentax users' s hunger for long tele...

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,227
Re: Myths die hard

paulkienitz wrote:

moving_comfort wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

You're saying that FF Pentax should do better against FF Nikon than crop Pentax does against crop Nikon? How could that possibly happen??

I outlined it already - the numbers in aps-c DSLR are skewed heavily by the massive numbers of entry-level aps-c bodies Canon/Nikon sell in places like Target, fueled by huge advertising budgets and promotions. You don't see FF cameras in nearly as many point of sale locations. We could very well see 1/8 or better ratio to Nikon, especially the first year of release. If they have the lenses.

Yeah, that could happen if they had the lenses. What are the odds of them having the lenses, in that first year? That question is easy to answer: there's no chance, it's impossible. Your hypothetical cannot happen.

The discussion was originally centered on the body, it showing a per-unit profit (which it would.)  The lenses are a different issue with which you and I actually partially agree on.

But I wouldn't say it's impossible.  They could possibly offer two f/2.8 zooms and a new prime the first year, which would be huge & generate a lot of excitement and (probably) sales, even before the FF body was introduced.

If they had started in 2010, with one to three new lenses introduced per year - we'd have a stable of FF lenses now that would have been selling the whole time, and an FF body could be introduced into a more lens-rich environment in 2014.

Even if it could, I doubt that the ratio between a FF Pentax and a D610 is going to be any better than a K-3 vs a D7100. Even at that level people mostly are discerning buyers.

It isn't just the initial investment, either. The only way to move it from a very narrow niche product which serves no function but to put a footmark in Nikon's territory, to where it's a real mainstream competitor, is to continue to make a whole series of further development investments in one lens after another, none of which can pay for itself until about three product generations later, because volume sales don't happen until the whole range is available to buyers.

You've sort of outlined the chicken-in-egg problem Pentax faces. Real FF body sales may not take off until they have a good fleet of FF lenses, but they can't sell a good number of FF lenses with only aps-c buyers currently in the fold, so ramp-up is hard.

In other words, ramp-up involves losing money.

No.  The ramp-up (if done that way) involves a ROI that probably wouldn't be fully satisfied until after the FF body appears.  That's not the same thing as 'losing money.'

It's kinda obvious they're really not doing it that way, though, unless they plan to release a FF body in 2016 or later.  (All this assumes they plan to even stick with DSLR & K-mount.)

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow