Live musician shots

Started Jan 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,309
Re: Live musician shots

Since you seemed to want some opinions, I'll take a stab at it. You can take it with a grain of salt though. Just my ideas.

mick787 wrote:

I have thought whether to post these or not. I am happy with them, it wouldn’t do any harm to be put back in my place as someone who is learning. Please bear in mind when expressing your opinion, these subjects aren’t static and the lighting was constantly changing.

I can see that you focused on the guy at the rear, but my opinion is that there is too little of him in the shot for it to really look that way. Instead it just looks like focus was off. That was my thought at first glance, but I saw it once I looked again. I might have shifted over to left a bit and then tried to get more of the guy on the right in the shot. For me it just doesn't feel right with his head cut off and the main subject of focus smaller than the rest.

The Hoax. I focussed on Jesse Davey in the rear of shot and included other stage action towards the foreground . I have another shot which I did in reverse.

I like this one mostly the way it is. Though it's a low shutter speed, her face seems to be sharp. However I can see the mic is a little out of focus, which I'm guessing is from the shallow depth of field rather than motion blur. I might have stopped down just a little and boosted the ISO to keep the shutter about the same.

Greta Valenti playing at The Robin2,

Well Hung Heart. Robin Davey and Greta Valenti

I liked this shot too. My only comment would be to maybe have a bit more space above their heads, but otherwise I like it just fine.

Like I said, just my opinion.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow