Which Camera to take on a Cruise??? 6D or S100

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
ubi_amatur_non_laboratur Regular Member • Posts: 185
One vote for taking it all!

Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) from departing cruise ship looking to sea.

Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) from departing cruise ship. Looking inland to FLL.

Take it all. The case for having the smaller camera is made every evening at dinner. Many an occasion shows up, and the DSLR is clunky for that particular situation.

May I recommend your DSLR for those low light shots? Many of my favorite pictures while on cruises were at the magic light moments, from the decks or from the gallery of the cabin. Leaving Fort Lauderdale in the evening gives great views of the harbour. Do not stay in your cabin, there are great shots to be taken because the ships often leave with the evening light, you have a special perspective with the height of the ship, and there are numerous points of interest in and around the harbour.

As for Ocho Rios, stay with your group tour and you should have no trouble. If you decide to walk Dunn's River Falls, then prepare to get wet.

As others have stated, why have the DSLR if not to use it on the special occasions? You can leave anything safely in your room. Cruising is great for that, in the sense that each day in port, I choose a different lens and work with what I have!

I am quite sure the average photographer will get as good results from both. I enjoy having the DSLR. YMMV.

Ubi

-- hide signature --

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is
more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius
is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved
and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge
30th president of US (1872 - 1933)
WSSA member #119

ubi_amatur_non_laboratur's gear list:ubi_amatur_non_laboratur's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow