Why I shoot digital Locked

Started Jan 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Raymond Cho Senior Member • Posts: 1,381
I use both

Sure, digital is way more flexible, way more modern, way more IQ, color accurate and modern yes. No doubt.

I use film b/c it is a hobby an I like to be more involved, than just refer to the LCD and Photoshop / LR it until I am happy with it. So I like the hands on approach, research, choose film, shoot it slowly carefully, wait for the results when it's at the lab. Employing grad filters, warming / cooling filters etc.

I just got into self processing b/w film, I just carry a 2nd body like a Nikon FM2 similar to the Olympus OM.

For a hobbyist it is a lot cheaper too. Instead of the fancy internal motor VR/IS nano coated lenses, lenses have gotten a lot more expensive, every new model gets more expensive, even the same stuff year after year can be more. For the amount of nice shots an amateur gets, is a $2,000 camera body worth it? Financially they could get a $100 film body with much cheaper lenses. Still money left over for film and lab / chemistry costs. To me there is a lot more feel with film. I've been to photography galleries but I preferred the film collection there ...

But sure for high ISO it is digital. I don't do much of that. Mainly off a tripod but when I do b/w I like the grainy look for the occasional street / travel photo. I use digital mainly for things like passports, family and friends where they need it on FB.

Mainly shooting Velvia slides and b/w film not the C41 stuff at all now, nor the b/w C41.  I do the DIY developing.  Looking at picking up a Hasselblad film body.

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow