Do I have potential?

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,107
My regrets

jtan163 wrote:

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Another reason that I stay away from PhotoShop/Elements. To me that is cheating. If you can create things like that out of thin air it takes all of the challenge out of field work. There wasn't a blue green background behind the girl. Why not commission a painter to create whatever you want?

That's Ok, you don't like PS - you don't have to use it.

This is photography. This is capturing life. This is not about manufacturing things.

I think this is less OK. You don't get to define the meaning of the word.
If you go to the Merriam Webster site you will find articles and videos about which words they choose for the dictionary and what definitions they choose.

I would like to apologize to the OP for being the cause of your thread diverging from your original intent.

I wrote the message partially quoted above shortly before going to bed (to my eternal regret) and was dismayed when I learned how it had been received the next morning.

I immediately expressed my regret for the poor wording of my message both here and here. In the first link you will see that I also directly apologized to the person to whose message I had replied.

In my year and a half of active participation on this forum and I have worked very hard to contribute to a friendly atmosphere here. On no previous occasion have I failed so abysmally.

Normally when I write something that is the slightest bit controversial I qualify my statements heavily, expressing the opinion as mine, and clearly conveying respect for those who feel otherwise. In this case (again to my eternal regret) it is apparent that I failed to do that.

I have the greatest respect for those who are skilled in the usage of Photoshop. Actually I have great respect for those who are able to use it at all.

I do not personally use PhotoShop because:

1. I have had limited exposure to using it in the past and upon being introduced to Lightroom found it much for intuitive for me to use.
  2. I am still at the very early stages of my development in this craft of photography and want to limit the number of new things I am learning to something I find manageable. Lightroom (along with various plugins I own) meets my current needs.
  3. I am concerned about how much the subscription price of PhotoShop will be raised in years to come and do not want many hours of learning to commit me to paying potentially higher rates. (Please do not further diverge this thread by expressing views on what Adobe may do with respect to this issue.)

As I did last night, I spend many hours out in the field taking photos. I frequently arrange my photo shoots around the golden hour. I use a program called The Photographer’s Ephemeris to help me predict where the best light will shine. During my daily life I keep my eyes peeled for photo opportunities.

I enjoy doing this very much.

My profession requires that I spend most of my work day at a computer. I spend many more personal hours at a computer, such as learning on this forum for instance.

As a result I do not want to spend many more hours learning how to create in PhotoShop those things I endeavor to capture in the field. I would much rather be out in the field looking for them or waiting for them to happen.

Please note that in the previous paragraph I expressed my personal preferences, not what I think you should do. I do not think less of you if you prefer to spend your time differently.

Once I have captured things I like, I certainly do get pleasure from manipulating the RAW file into a presentation I find more pleasing in Lightroom. Something, that were I inclined to learn it, I would have no qualms about doing in PhotoShop, either.

The original intent of my post above has been served. I learned how others feel about this issue. Due to my own failings, it was not done in the spirit of friendliness that I would have hoped.

I will rededicate my efforts to clear, accurate, and sympathetic posts in the future.

I apologize to all for any unpleasant feelings they have experienced as a result of my poorly worded post. It has certainly caused me a great deal of anxiety.

I have spent quite a bit of time carefully proof reading, scrutinizing, and re-editing this post in the sincere and impassioned hope that it will not lead to further unpleasantness.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow